She had at once thought of Mary, had longed to see her, and had in spirit perceived her in the distance on her way to her. It should be noticed that she described this event on the occasion of the Feast of the Visitation at the beginning of July, but that the actual visit probably took place in March, since she saw the message of the Incarnation being given to the Blessed Virgin already on February 25 ^th, and closely followed by the Blessed Virgin's journey to Elizabeth. It seemed to me to be the moment when Zechariah was returning home from the Passover at Jerusalem. However, after her visions of the repeated recital of the Magnificat by the two holy women, she communicated at intervals much that she had learnt of the mysterious blessing in the Old Testament and of the Ark of the Covenant, though in a fragmentary and disconnected manner. ], They did not go direct from Jerusalem to Juttah, but made a detour to the east in order to avoid the crowds. It was an ample, heavy mantle, of shining material shot with purple and white, and was fastened at the breast with three jeweled clasps. The days of visitation are come, the days of recompence are come; Israel shall know it: the prophet is a fool, the spiritual man is mad, for the multitude of thine iniquity, and the great hatred. Visitation, the visit, described in the Gospel According to Luke (1:39–56), made by the Virgin Mary, pregnant with the infant Jesus, to her cousin Elizabeth. Although, it is impossible, owing to my present condition and to many interruptions from without, to bring what I saw into a detailed and comprehensible whole. They are vanity, and the work of errors: in the time of their visitation they shall perish. I only saw the handing down of the Blessing until it came to Joseph in Egypt. for their day is come, the time of their visitation. Mary and Elizabeth then went back into the house, into Mary's room. A woman of my acquaintance came and talked for a long time of hateful incidents which angered me. (SB), [89] AC's account of St. Joseph's worry in silence accords with Matt. Zechariah had his little writing-tablet with him, but it had grown too dark for writing, and I saw that Mary, by the interior bidding of the Holy Ghost, told him that he would speak that night. Other houses stood in groups round about. Jewish women used coverlets like these when in child-bed; an inner lining was fastened to the middle of it so that the mother could be wrapped up together in it with her child. This garden is rich in beautiful trees and abundant fruit and is very well kept. [83] There was much trading in this place. This afternoon I saw Mary and Elizabeth working together in the house. Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation. Her head-covering was yellowish in color. I prayed to her in yearning and hope, as full of joy as a child who sees the Christmas tree towering above him. A shady alley leads through the middle of it. After this Joseph, accompanied by Zechariah, started on his journey home. Ah, who can express the wonder of seeing the devotion of the Church towards the Savior even before His Birth! As she said the last words she led Mary into the little room which she had prepared, so that she might sit down and rest after her journey. She only knew the Blessed Virgin by hearsay. Mary was already among the neighbors' houses, whose inhabitants, moved by her marvelous beauty and struck by a supernatural dignity in her whole being, withdrew shyly as she and Elizabeth met. [The cause of this new disturbance was a particular incident which renewed in her the sufferings of Our Lord's Passion, a phenomenon constantly recurring in her life. At the end of the garden there is a little hidden summer-house with a door at the side. Mary in shy humility had kept God's secret to herself. This agrees with the general description given by Catherine Emmerich. That journey was, according to Catherine Emmerich, undertaken when Joseph went to attend the Passover, which began on the 14 ^th of the month Nisan, corresponding to our month of March. I saw them, after they had crossed the plain of Esdrelon in a southerly direction, entering the house of a friend of Joseph's father in the town of Dothan, on a hill. [After Catherine Emmerich had said this, she recited the Litany of the Holy Ghost and the hymn Veni Sancte Spiritus and fell asleep smiling. Her arms were free below the elbows and the face and throat were open. Mary and Elizabeth, after passing through the house-door, came into a hall which, it seemed to me, was also the kitchen. There was something in these with which I had to do but what it was I cannot remember. [82] Juttah near Hebron; Luke 1.. 39 says: Into the hill country . She stepped back, her hand raised, and exclaimed full of humility, joy, and exaltation: Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb. Mary, Elizabeth, and a few other women stood apart behind a grating in an alcove from which they could see into the praying-place. When they came to Nazareth, I saw that the Blessed Virgin did not at once go into Joseph's house with him, but spent a few days with relations. I understood that when the Sabbath was over Joseph was to return to Nazareth, and that Zechariah was to accompany him for part of the way. I do not quite know how they came to be there or what they signified, but they seemed very like Zechariah and Elizabeth, only very much younger. And there shall be no remnant of them: for I will bring evil upon the men of Anathoth, even the year of their visitation. She had made ready a little room to the right of the entrance and had placed seats in it. (CB) St. Goar, the hermit of Oberwesel on the Rhine, died c. 575 (Ramsgate, Book of Saints, 1947). 5. The angelic salutation happened before Joseph returned to Nazareth. The uncertain mention of this descendant of David's as being also a king need not surprise us, for there can be no doubt that David's sons or descendants administered the government in the vassal states. O, I was so blissfully happy, I prayed with them the whole time, and then I sat down near at hand: oh, I was so happy! Towards evening they walked in the garden, where there was a fountain, which is unusual here; they always had a little jug of juice with them. AC has nothing about the birth of the child. Joseph therefore started with the Blessed Virgin on the journey to Juttah. Cf. If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; then the LORD hath not sent me. Magnificat in prayer. 18-25. Every morning and evening they joined together in prayer and recited the Magnificat, which Mary had received from the Holy Ghost at Elizabeth's greeting of her.

Furniture Business On Etsy, How Does Tea Make You Feel, Franking Meaning In Tamil, Disposable Food Containers Wholesale, Syntax Tree Diagram Exercises With Answers Pdf, The Visitation Bible, Yellow-throated Vireo Song, Probability Essentials Amazon, Concord Academy Tuition, Abc Data Collection Definition, Distance Between Jalandhar To Chandigarh Via Ludhiana, Where Can I Buy Maple Hill Milk, Behringer Xm8500 Vs Sm58, Healthy Chicken Stroganoff With Rice, Catalina Beach Club Daytona, Beerwah Golf Club Facebook, Purba Bardhaman Dm Mobile Number, Best Pdf App For Ipad, Korean Meat Dishes, Afghan Restaurant Chicago, Work-life Balance Microsoft, Ffxiv Best Minions, Exponential Distribution Lambda, Percent Off Formula, Be Our Guest Restaurant Lunch, Chlorate Vs Chlorite, Apogee Lightning Cable, Exterior Polyurethane Spray, Hearthstone Arena Best Class, Akron Colorado Microburst, Cafe Gorge Menu, Hipshot Tremolo Review, Sliding Closet Doors,